Monday 4 October 2010

Missing

Ok. So I've had a "brainwave" or a eureka moment... I'am not sure how to describe it just yet. But it's an idea nonetheless. Our next brief, which I mentioned earlier, is based around us producing a book that MUST include Leeds in the title.

Now, I'd seen a Channel 4 documentary ages ago about how people can disappear without a single trace, with no family, friends or vague relatives to lead back to. Maybe not even neighbours. These people (who might live in a house as opposed to being homeless) can often either simply disappear without a trace or sadly pass away. I want to highlight the harrowing side to this truth, and describe in a dignified language that plays tribute to the lost souls of Leeds.

I'm also quite interested on the scale this happens, and where it happens. How in a place in Leeds you can remain practically invisible to anyone and everyone, as long as your behaviour is pretty much unassuming and not elaborate or aggresive so as to attract attention to one's self.

I'am going to debate the idea of interviewing homeless people or seek out people that often feel alone and ghostly, somewhat. Obviously, I'd use a dictaphone to record the interview(s) and then copy them in to the "book".

As not too much other information has been revealed as far as the brief's detail is concerned, maybe it's best not to think too ahead, but approach it with a design state of mind, as opposed to rushing in to the whole thing.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment