Saturday 12 March 2011

Palestine - Joe Sacco

I bought this book from Salt's Mill in Saltaire today. Their book shop is great, and it's the closest place I have that stocks a decent range of art books, but also graphic novels like this one. I'd looked before but this had never popped up until today (although the shop itself is not massive), and after a few pages of reading the alternative comic format, I was hooked. So with this I intend to educate myself with Palestine. I also need to read more books, this has become apparent since my last brief (involving books. I just have to finish Derren Brown's "Confessions of a Conjuror", Michael McIntyre's "Life and Laughter", both "Mostly Harmless" and "And Another Thing" from HGTTG, and the graphic novel of "Tamara Drewe" by Posy Simmonds.
Anyway, the blurb of "Palestine" reads:

"In late 1991 and early 1992, at the time of the first Intifada, Joe Sacco spent two months with the Palistinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, travelling and taking notes. Upon returning to the United States he started writing and drawing Palestine, which combines the techniques of eyewitness reportage with the medium of comic-book storytelling to explore this complex, emotionally weighty situation. He captures the heart of the Palestinian experience in image after unforgettable image, with great insight and remarkable humour."

I can't wait to crack this open, and I sense it might have relevance in Vis Com and elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment