Monday 10 January 2011

Corinne

The Sea is one of the best albums to come out of 2010. And why it failed to win the Mercury Prize, I'll never know. After resisting to listen to it at first, the album (on cd*) is the must heart-melting, atomic emotioned, delectable... oh! I could go on and on describing how much I bloody LOVE this album, but really I'am not getting anywhere. T

he purpose of this entry is to talk about a piece I'am currently working on (a break from Derren) which just so happens to feature the Leeds-born goddess. By taking the album, I'am producing a black and white ink pen depiction of Corinne Bailey Rae, dominated by "The Sea" around her, as if it's almost swallowing her up. I'am also taking a style that originally occurred in an earlier nautical themed sketch, and applying the same technique of tight detail, where waves clash and overlap around her face. I really hope the illustration becomes what I imagine it to be, and once it's done I'll bang it straight up here.

I feel so lucky to have seen her live, especially in her hometown. It still feels like a pleasure, reminiscing back to the fact it's quite possibly musically the best gig I've ever been to... who knows!

Oh, and I quit Facebook today.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment